Monday, January 19, 2009

So Saturday night I was invited to go see Malika and Sara at their home near the big bank on Hassan II. We went over at around 3:30. I had the time of my life. First we had tea and little cookies, followed by what they called Moroccan pizza (which was dough and spicy veggies - yummy). I met Malika's sister who spoke English and Sara's friend Uda, who is studying to become a beautician. Once I finished (or tried to finish) all the food they packed onto my plate, the music was turned up and I was told to get up and dance. Gosh I was too full, but I tried. They tried to get me to belly dance but my hips move to salsa more that Moroccan beats so it took a while. Now I know how to shake my hips at a bizillion miles a hour (slight exaggeration of course) and I know how to move to the Moroccan beats. We danced forever and ever, stripping off layers and layers because we were getting hot dancing. Malika and Leila took off their head scarves and tied them around their waists. They grabbed one for me and then showed me how to bounce the scarf up and down to the music with my hips, while moving my hands, and pretending to sing the words in Arabic that I could hardly pronounce. Uda is amazing at it, and she has such control that she hardly looks like she is trying. Sara can move her tummy like Shakira and she is wonderful at club style dancing. Malika can move her hips fast than any woman I have seen. I was challenged just to keep up. We stopped for sips of water here and there, but mostly just kept on dancing with the scarves around our hips. Malika and I danced around the tables in the salon, chasing one another with our hips. It was so much fun and we never stopped laughing.
Then, the girls got the idea to play dress up - with me! I was the Barbie as I was dressed in 6 different outfits with Malika's jewelry from her wedding. They put on scarves,jalabas, and beautiful tunics. Then we had a photo shoot. Simo (Sara's brother) was the photographer as I sat and posed with all these different outfits on. I was cracking up. Then Marilyn called because she had my camera with her. (YAY MY TRAVELING CAMERA IS BACK) We met her downstairs and invited her up, where she was bombarded with tea and food galore. She could only stay a little while but we took some photos and she saw me dressed up. Did I mention I went down stairs to get her dressed up with "good morning" slippers on my feet??? Yah!
oh shoot....class starts in 4 minutes......aaaaaaaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment